Cracking weather for the first BF meet of the year. A crisp start to the day and it turned out very mild and sunny. At one point I noticed the thermometer in Keith’s car reached 16C.

After a fairly uneventful drive we arrived at the car park near the Geoffrey Smith hide. In short order the team was assembled. AndyK, Rob, RichardG and NickT making his debut, Keith and myself decamped to the Geoffrey Smith hide.

Although the water levels were considerably lower than our December visit there was still an awful lot of water about. Several years ticks quickly tumbled as we worked our way through the waterfowl. Perhaps the highlight was a couple of pairs of Pintail, always smart birds to see, and a male Goosander that swam close to the hide was very welcome. Having filled our boots in the hide we wandered down the road to look at the fields around Derwent Cottage Farm.

Try as we might we couldn’t find the Bewick’s Swans (or should that be Tundra Swan?) that have been around for some time. There is only so long that you can look at Whoopers half a kilometre away. We whizzed up the road to Ellerton. Much Barn Owl poo in the porch of the church. And so we looked at more water. Another 2 pairs of Pintail and a pair of fly-by Gypo Geese was about it. I managed to miss the flock of Barnies that flew through when I was walking around the cemetery.

Heading south we stopped off at Aughton. Not much different to report except a female Bullfinch as we were leaving. Strangely the highlight for me was the horse pasture along the track just before the gate on the way back. It’s difficult to explain to non-botanists but it looked ‘good’. Maybe it was just the glorious sunshine and thoughts of Spring but it seemed to demand a Wheatear bobbing about. Instead we made do with a nice Song Thrush which was quickly followed by two Corn Buntings singing from nearby hedgerow trees.

Back to Bubwith and a plethora of waders. Shed loads of Lapwing and Golden Plover. A bit of searching turned up 2 Blackwits and 3 + 3 +1 Ruff (they took some counting) and a fair few Dunlin. And then they all took to the air. Peregrine. Rob thought there might have been a couple of Knot in the flock but they will have to go down as ‘possibles’. Time to wander back to the cars.

Um. A quick repositioning found us staring almost straight into the sun at the access road to Derwent Cottage Farm. The flock of Whooper was still there but at a range of over half a kilometre we were struggling. Amazingly, first one and then two Peregrines were found sitting in the stubble field to the left of the farm. Some confusion followed as we variously tried to relocate the second bird. “It’s left of the first bird,” didn’t help if you were already looking at the left-hand bird but it was eventually sorted out. For the record the leftmost bird was a big female.

Somewhat disheartened we moved back along the road towards the car park to get a better angle on a couple of birds ‘hiding’ behind the farm buildings. Finally a smallish swan with a clear square patch of yellow wandered out, shortly followed by the second bird. A Yorkshire tick in less than ideal circumstances but I’ll take it. Andy was rather more sanguine having seen the birds at much closer ranges previously.

After a brief discussion which in fact merely consisted of Keith saying, “Where next?” and me saying “Skipwith” we popped up the road. Despite the beautiful weather in turned out to bit a bit of a damp squib although Kestrel was the fourth raptor of the day. Jinxed, me? Nope. Rob had to leave for a prior engagement and Andy had to go in search of fuel so the remaining four called in at Thorganby. Now the viewing platform may or may not be a good vantage point but on Sunday it wasn’t. I was distinctly underwhelmed on what was my first visit.

Next up was Acomb on the outskirts of York. Three sat navs and me navigating for Keith with only a visual memory of the map. Guess who won? The Waxwings were sat up in a tree as we drove past looking for a place to turn around. Approximately 40 birds in all that were rather put off from feeding in their favoured tree by a feisty Fieldfare but very obliging nonetheless. After a rather confused call frim Andy he eventually made it only to park under the very tree with the birds, one of which quickly made a deposit. Nick and Richard arrived eventually and a certain amount of camera action ensued. I have to say that I am pretty fed up with the number of images that have appeared on the interweb. Churlish maybe but there is no doubting they are very photogenic and often confiding. They are very appealing to watch but for me it is the trilling calls that set the heart racing.

And so to the final venues of the day. The fields adjacent to the Red Lion pub failed to produce any birds although Keith picked out a hare across the road. A quick relocation found us by Rufforth tip and walking down to the airfield. Maybe it was because it was Sunday and the tip was closed(?) but there was a distinct lack of gulls. Tim Jones has been grilling the gulls of late and has, along with others, turned up a bunch of Caspo’s amongst others. Sadly it was not to be on the day. I did however find a 1960 OS map of York!

I missed a couple of birds on the day but a total of around 70 was a good haul. A thoroughly enjoyable day and a few more birding sites to store in the memory banks.

I like this birding lark.